Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Pampered Pesto Pizza

Sometimes I look in my fridge and cupboards and try to use up stuff that either I have half a jar of or it's nearing it's expiration date. I'm thrifty like that. Sometimes my "experiments" turn out tasting like something out of the lab that ends up being slop for the animals, but once in a great while I actually create something delicious. This was one of those rare occasions where it turned out great.
I'm almost embarrassed to post the recipe because it's so simple and the measurements are totally dependent on your personal taste but here's what I did and it was a hit. The pigs were disappointed that they didn't get any extra slop but the family declared it a thumbs up. So here goes:

1 premade PIzza crust, I used a thin and crispy one
1/4 c. pesto sauce (can be found by the spaghetti sauce)
1/4 c. alfredo sauce
1 large can chicken
5 strips turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 c. Mozzarella cheese (more or less to taste)
1/2 t. Italian seasoning

Spread alfredo sauce over crust, then pesto sauce. Layer chicken, bacon, Parmesan, Mozzarella, and then sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Cook according to pizza crust package instructions. And viola! dinner is served. Bet you didn't know I was part Italian huh? :)

*You don't have to use both pesto and alfredo sauce, you can do one or the other, you would just increase amount to equal 1/2 c. of sauce total. We liked the creaminess that the alfredo brought to it combined with the tanginess of the pesto but we're backwoods country folk so do it however you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment