Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Election Reflections

On this monumental day in history I couldn't help but reflect on this past election and what an interesting one it was.
In our house, GI Joe is very political savvy and knows what's going on in the world of politics, who stands for what, listens to a ton of talk radio and watches a lot of Fox News. Which in my book makes him a bit of a nerd but according to him makes him smarter. And he may have a point because he is well informed and educated on our nation's issues. I, on the other hand, would much rather spend my leisure time watching really educational shows such as Cribs and Supernanny. During election time, he took his job of making sure his family was well informed on the candidates, their platforms, and how they stood in relation to our beliefs very seriously. Maybe a little too much so. I came home on more than one occasion during election time and he had all 3 kids sitting on the couch with him watching Fox News and him breaking it down in kid speak. Now regardless of where you stand politically you have to appreciate parents talking to their kids about world issues and politics. I mean it's their future right? It just so happens that GI Joe is very passionate about his political views and maybe, just maybe, a smidgeon of that rubbed off on his children.
During election week, the kids were doing their own election at school. On the first day of the week, they learned about the candidates and got a sticker to wear of the candidate they wanted to vote for. Apparently, a rather heated discussion occurred on the playground between Blade, age 6 and a young black girl. According to Blade it went a lil' something like this:
Blade noticed the girl wearing an Obama sticker so he went up to her.
Blade: "Why are you wearing an Obama sticker?"
Young Obama Supporter: "Cuz I'm gonna vote for him."
Blade: "Why would you do that?"
Young Obama Supporter: "Cuz he's black and I'm black."
Blade: "You're an idiot if you vote for someone just cuz of their color. That's stupid."
(Please note that Blade acts much like his father who doesn't always, ok never, sugarcoats things.)
I don't really know what happened next because I received 2 different stories. Blade says he convinced the little girl he was right about not voting someone just based on their color BUT his teacher said that the little girl was upset and they had to have a conversation about not calling people stupid or idiots. However, I do have to say that his teacher commended us (I use that loosely as you know it wasn't me) on talking to our kids about politics and that it was good that they had formed opinions and at least knew about the election. We (ok this time it was me) had a discussion with the kids about how one of the great things about living in America is being able to have our own opinions and how we should respect the opinions of others even if we don't agree with them. And then of course we addressed the use of the words stupid and idiot which are outlawed in our house, unless of course we're driving and someone steals a parking spot from Mommy at Wal Mart.
Somehow we managed to survive the election and no one was suspended from school for political campaigning, bashing, etc. Now if we can just survive the next 4 years.....

And on that note, I'd like to take a moment and send a few special inauguration messages because I'm sure the intended recipients are reading my blog.

To President Obama & Family-We wish you luck and don't let all that power go to your head. Also, I think you should go with the Labradoodle over the Water Spaniel. Water Spaniels are much too high strung to live in the White House. Good luck with the housebreaking.

To Laura Bush-Don't think I didn't notice how giddy happy you were today. I know you were thinking "C'mon George get your cowboy hat on and let's go home to the ranch.I'm done with these crazy city folks." Can't say that I blame you, I'd want to get out of Dodge as fast as possible too.
To Kohl's-You should really stick to department store stuff like shoes and clothes and not Obama memorabilia. He's not God or Elvis. I just think we should wait and see what he's got yet before we start making velvet wall hangings and coins with his face on it.

To Aretha Franklin-What were you thinking wearing the giant gray bow hat? That's all I'm saying.

And now that I've alienated and offended half of my readers I'm outta here.








1 comment:

  1. GI Joe is right, watchin FoxNews and listening to certain talk radio shows actually does make one much smarter

    ReplyDelete