Sunday, June 21, 2009

Words of Wisdom from My Father

In honor of Father's Day I thought I'd share with you some of the many words of wisdom my Dad has given me over the years.

First a little background. My dad is a preacher. He's very organized, smart, dignified, distinguished, athletic, godly, talented, charismatic, and just a little bit hard headed. He's respected by many, many people. Obviously I'm just like him..or not. I share some of his personality traits but I also have MANY that I must've inherited from the Schwan's man because they certainly weren't from either of my parents. Such as my sarcasm, my love of being the center of attention, and my outspokenness. My Dad tries to come off as very serious and straight laced. For every ounce of his seriousness I was (am) the clown. Dad is a preacher and I was somehow born with an independent, slightly rebellious streak. I took his sermons on all the things you weren't supposed to do as things I needed to give a whirl. You know, for verification purposes. You can imagine how that went down, especially during my teenage years...oil and water.

Here are some of my favorite words of wisdom from my father over the years:

"You're headed for a life of prostitution."-He might've overreacted slightly when he found me somewhere I wasn't supposed to be, in a part of town I shouldn't have been in, with people I had no business being with. He's pretty relieved that there are no brothels out here on the prairie.

"You're going to end up barefoot and pregnant."-Prophesy at it's best, except I prefer high heels.

"You're the second most beautiful woman I've walked down the aisle."-I'll always remember that he said this to me as he was about to walk me down the aisle to give me away to my prince. Normally I don't take kindly to being second best but since he was talking about my mom being #1, I was okay with it.

"You don't have to say EVERYTHING that comes to your mind."-It's part of my charm. Secretly, I think he wished he could do the same, given the amount of puntzes he's dealt with in his day but I suppose being a pastor and all it wouldn't be a good idea.

"I don't have to worry about you being kidnapped with your mouth and quick wit."-I'd have to agree they'd be bringing me back the minute I started asking them to play NKOTB in the back of the van and demanding my lip gloss.

"It's called TACT, use it."-B-O-R-I-N-G. Actually believe it or not I have come a long, oops a little, ways on this. These days I try to soften the blow a little before I tell someone exactly what I think. Such as "your hair looks great but what were you thinking wearing that shirt?" Just kidding, but really THAT shirt?

"Set your hook and reel in slow."-Makes me laugh because now I hear myself saying this to my kids. No idea if it really makes a difference in catching a fish but it sounds so pro angler.

"Your mom would be so proud of you."-That's the good stuff.

"You and GI Joe* are wonderful parents. You're doing a great job."-You know me and my parenting insecurities, so any time someone compliments me like that it means the world. Especially when it's coming from Dad who's seen a lot of good and bad parenting in his day. **My Dad doesn't actually address him as GI Joe.

Now that we don't live in the same house and I don't have to follow his boring rules we get along splendidly. That and now that I'm a parent too and am getting a little taste of my own medicine I have a whole new appreciation for my father. Amazing how that works! Seriously, I have an awesome dad and am so thankful to him for instilling in me the morals and values that I still hold today. He also set an amazing example of a husband should be. Luckily, GI Joe has lived up to and exceeded those very high expectations. It's a good thing too as my Dad made it very clear when GI Joe asked for his blessing to marry me that there were no "returns." :)

I just called to wish my Dad a happy Father's Day and thanked him for surviving through my youth without sending me to boarding school. He said "No problem." I know better, he may never admit it but I have no doubt the thought crossed his mind a time or two, especially when I went through my "gangsta black phase", yo. I've offered to get a tattoo in his honor but he just shakes his head and rolls his eyes, tattoos just aren't his style. But I'm sure being featured in the blog, now THAT'S just what he's always wanted, THAT and this picture being posted for all 6 of my readers to see. Just an example of the many things I caused him to endure.

Happy Father's Day Dad!

2 comments: