Thursday, May 31, 2012

Food Friday

Hi!  Another week, another solitary Food Friday post.  Someday soon I want to tell you about the following:
Promotion Party in the USA
Mother's Day
Memorial Day
New Additions (not to be confused with New Edition...there's no Bobby Brown here)

But today is not that day.  Today I thought it would be a good day to finally tackle my closet.  I cleaned and purged the kids' closets a few weeks ago which served as a training exercise for the big one...my closet.  It's been driving me nuts for weeks but not enough so to, you know, DO anything about it.  Until today.  At this very moment it looks like a Category 4 hurricane swept through our bedroom.  I can't help it I love clothes and shoes, so sue me.  I am pretty proud of my purge pile though.  It's so hard to say goodbye (Boyz II Men going on...)  to jeans I've had since 1999 but it's time.  Besides whenever I do a deep closet cleaning once I'm done I always feel justified in going shopping.  That's my motivator.  It's a bittersweet pill for GI Joe to swallow...clean closet but a wife gone shopping. 

My point is it's been a busy week and tonight I made dinner out of a box and served it on paper plates.  So naturally I'm well qualified to write a post about food.    In my defense it was NOT Hamburger/Tuna/Chicken Helper but a boxed meal nonetheless (Velveeta  Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Skillet Meal if you must know), however, all 3 kids gobbled it up and didn't even complain and that NEVER happens.  Which leaves me wondering WHY DO I BOTHER COOKING NICE MEALS EVERY NIGHT when I could just open a box?  To heck with preservatives and artificial flavorings.  

My favorite thing I've made this week is a little dip that a Tex/Mex restaurant chain in the south called Chuy's is famous for, and with good reason.  I made it for Memorial Day when my BFF Heather and her fam came up for the day and we ate it for lunch, snack, and dinner.  This recipe's for you Heather since I *forgot* to pack some up to send home with you.  And by forgot  I mean I purposely sent you home with cupcakes instead of this dip because I am selfish and really love this dip.  Lylas!  :) 

Chuy's Jalapeno Ranch Dip

1/3 c. mayo
1 c. sour cream
1/3 c. buttermilk (or do the old milk with a little bit of vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes trick..google it, it works)
1/3 c. tomatillo salsa (the green salsa, on the jar it's called Salsa Verde)
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped (more or less to taste)
1 ranch dressing mix packet
3 T. pickled jalapenos (from a jar) chopped (more or less depending on how spicy you want it but be warned the longer it sits in the fridge the spicier it gets
Put everything into a blender and blend until smooth.  it'll be the a little thicker than normal salad dressing.  Taste test using a tortilla chip and add more ingredients as you see fit.  I usually add a few more jalapenos and a little more salsa.  If you want it thicker add more sour cream if you want it thinner add more buttermilk and/or salsa. 
Dip tortilla chips, taquitos, pretty much anything in it or use it to put on tacos, enchiladas, your spoon, whatever.  It's awesome and completely addicting, you'll see. 

Happy Friday!  Aren't 4 day weeks the best? 



No comments:

Post a Comment