Friday, May 11, 2012

Food Friday

I’m writing to you as a very young now 34 year old. Do I sound different? Does my font look older?


I can’t believe I ruined my Food Friday streak by not posting one last week. I was very busy baking cupcakes, watching Duck Dynasty and celebrating the start of my birthday month. Very important, time consuming things you understand. But not to worry, I’m BAAAACK!

I had a fabulous birthday yesterday. I wore a zebra shirt and shoes w/ a tiara, drank water at my desk out of a pink martini glass, sat in a pinkified office all day thanks to my coworkers, and ate birthday balls (meat-a-balls) made by my very Italian friend Marsha that are pretty much the most amazing meat-a-balls you will ever eat. I’m sorry if you don’t have an Italian Marsha in your life to make you birthday balls on your birthday. I’m not sorry however, that I ate 6 birthday balls before 10am, it was my birthday I could do what I wanted, including eating meat-a-balls for breakfast. After a wonderful day at the office, I went home and refused to load a single dish in the dishwasher or step foot in the laundry room. Then the family took me to our usual birthday spot, Texas Roadhouse, for dinner so I could ride the saddle while wearing my tiara and make a spectacle of myself in public embarrassing my children. It’s what I live to do really. I relished all the well wishes and messages I got from friends and family. My love tank is definitely full. I’m so sad my birthday is over, good thing there’s still 21 more days of my birthday MONTH to enjoy!

Since it was my birthday week, I didn’t do a whole lot of cooking. Special K with Red Berries made a dinner time appearance as did leftovers which is highly unusual because I don’t like leftovers for dinner, leftovers for lunch is fine but leftovers for dinner notsomuch. But sometimes when it’s birthday week AND Starbucks Half Price Happy Hour week at the same time, you’re just too full from half price frappuccinos purchased on the way home to feel like making dinner.


But I did try a couple new recipes and they were both fantastic so because it’s my birthday (week/month) and I’m not just about receiving presents but giving them too, I give you this.

Dinner made adorable.

Double Decker Taco Cupcakes
From The Girl Who Ate Everything

1 pound ground beef
1 package taco seasoning
36 wonton wrappers
1 can (16 oz) refried beans
1 c. or so of tortilla chips, crushed
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese, more or less to taste
Whatever other toppings you like, we used salsa, sour cream and black olives

Preheat oven to 375. Spray 18 muffin tins with cooking spray. Prepare meat with taco seasoning according to package directions. Place one wonton wrapper in the bottom of each muffin cup. Layer about 1 T. refried beans on top of each wonton. Sprinkle crushed tortilla chips on top of the beans. Top w/ 1 T. taco meat and 1 T. shredded cheese. If you think I actually measured all of these ingredients out on each wonton you’d be mistaken, I just eyeballed it. Repeat the layers again with wonton wrapper, refried beans, crushed chips, taco meat, and cheese.
Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. “Frost” with sour cream, salsa, lettuce, whatever your heart desires. Devour.

I made them just like the recipe says and they were quick, easy, and delicious. Not to mention they were in CUPCAKE form!  Although, I have to admit as I was making them I thought to myself, these are cute and all but you know, it’s just a taco made pretty. I could’ve just made regular tacos that would’ve been easier. But it really wasn’t that big of a deal and sometimes you need to step up Taco Night a bit. The added bonus was that they were totally portable so the next night when we were rushing from place to place we put them in the microwave for a minute or so and then ate them on the go. You can’t say that about regular tacos.

And on another food related note, have you tried THIS


CONFETTI. CAKE. BLIZZARD.

It all started with a little dinner conversation at my birthday dinner with friends last week and we all nearly got up and left the restaurant mid meal to go try one, but we didn’t. But I haven’t stopped thinking about it since. Then the other night one of those friends, Dougie D, posted on facebook that he had just tried one and that it was BEYOND AWESOME. It took everything in me to not pack up the car right then at 9:45 on a Wednesday night, drive the 20 minutes to the nearest Dairy Queen and order one. I mean, I’m 34 now (well almost it was the night before I turned 34)  I can do things like that if I want, I don’t have a curfew! On the other hand, I’m 34 now and like to be in bed by 10pm on school/work nights so I didn’t go. Also the whole eating that many calories right before bed with 34 year old metabolism probably isn’t the best idea. Who said getting older is fun?!? Anyway, as part of my birthday day plans I decided I would have one of these for lunch because ummm, it was my birthday. But then the birthday balls and scotcheroos happened and I wasn’t the least bit hungry for one at lunchtime so I declared that after our annual birthday dinner at Texas Roadhouse we would stop at DQ on the way home for these. Best birthday demand I’ve made all day. This blizzard is so wrong it’s right. It tastes like a light, fluffy, not overly sweet FROSTING.  And I don't know if I've mentioned it but frosting is my life.  I'm not a cake person at all, to me cake is just a vessel to get the frosting to my mouth in a socially acceptable manner, you know rather than with a spoon or my finger.  We loved this blizzard, yum. 

Since it’s my birthday month, it’s only appropriate that you go get this and think of me while eating it. And if you want to sing “Happy Birthday Prairie Princess” while eating it, that’s fine too. Just don’t forget the cha cha chas.

Have a great weekend and Happy Mother's Day!






No comments:

Post a Comment