Friday, May 25, 2012

Food Friday

I thought I was so ahead of the game and had this all set to post first thing Friday morning.  But apparently I didn't. 

Oops.

Speaking of oops, I got a fancy new phone yesterday.  I didn't plan on getting a new phone but mine stopped working on Thursday morning and when I took it into the Verizon store they informed me that it had gone to cell phone heaven, something about water damage and unrepairable and blah blah blah.  All I heard was that I was phone less.  So yeah, 30 minutes later I walked out of there with a phone that basically drove me back to work.  Anyway, this new phone has this fun feature speak to text so instead of having to type your text (that's SO 2010 you know) you just talk to your phone and it texts for you.  Which leads me to the oops story.  I was playing with this fun new feature on my way home and talk to texting GI Joe.  Except my phone must not be used to my voice yet because she wasn't getting much right.  For example, I said "Is it illegal to talk to text and drive, if so oops" and she instead sent " Is it illegal to talk to text and drive if you go poop?"  GI Joe text back and said "If I go poop what?"  To which I TRIED to say, "I meant to say oops" but instead my phone said "Eagles poop".  Clearly, I need to enunciate more or not because it's kind of hilarious trying to guess what my phone will think I said.  I will say I think she has a bit of a poop issue though because the kids were playing with that feature again today and every other word she tried to text was "poop".  Weird.

ANYWAY, you probably didn't come here to talk about poop or eagles.  You came here to find out the recipe for crack.  Admit it.  This crack recipe came from an unusual suspect...Trisha Yearwood.  Yes "X's and O's" and "How Do I Live" Trisha Yearwood.  Have you watched her show on Saturday mornings on Food Network?  It's my new favorite food show and no offense to Pioneer Woman whose show I also enjoy but Trisha's is 1 million times better.  Trisha featured this recipe on last week's show and as soon as I saw it I immediately ran to my cupboard and happily discovered that I had everything on hand to make this ASAP. 
It literally took 5 minutes, just long enough for the brown sugar and butter to boil, to whip this together. This could be dangerous.  Very dangerous.  Feast your eyes on this my friends. 

Sweet and Saltines aka CRACK
from Trisha Yearwood's Southern Kitchen www.foodnetwork.com

35-40 Saltine crackers
2 sticks butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 1/3 c. chocolate chips (give or take a little)

Preheat oven to 425.  Line one large pan or 2 jelly roll pans with foil and spray with nonstick spray.  Lay crackers out, not overlapping, just touching.  I did salt side down.  In a medium saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar together and boil for 5 minutes.  You're making caramel!  Remove from heat and pour over the crackers, making sure they're covered evenly.  Put the pan in the oven for 2-4 minutes until caramel is just bubbly, don't walk away, it only takes a few minutes.  Remove from oven and pour chocolate chips over the pan.  Use a knife to spread them out, they'll melt as you spread them and soon all of the caramel will be covered by chocolate, just as God intended it. 
Put the pan in the freezer for 15-20 minutes or if your pan is too wide to fit into your freezer stick it in the fridge for 30 minutes or so.  Feel free to sneak bites of it occasionally even if the chocolate hasn't completely set up, you know for quality control purposes.  Once chocolate has set up and is cold, remove from fridge or freezer and break into pieces.  Store in an airtight container.  And you might want to hide it if you want it to last longer than an hour.  You probably won't be able to walk into your kitchen without grabbing a piece, it's just part of the appeal. 

And I'm sorry about that.  But it's totally worth it.  Added bonus is your kids asking you on the last day of school  "Mommy, put some crack in my lunch today, ok?"   Why not?  It was the last day of school and hello, Worst Mother of the Year here!

I can't think of a better way to celebrate and honor Memorial Day than by making this...crack.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment