Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Before I Forget...

I have no idea what's going on with my blog background.  It's making me angry and my apologies for it's non prettiness.  Proceed.

Sometimes in life, people do and say things that hurt, that anger you, that make you want to write a scathing blog about it because you figure that’s a 100 times better than punching the guilty party in the throat. Forgiveness isn’t easy and forgetfulness is near impossible. That’s where I’m at right now. But instead of writing blasting out a blog entry that will not do any good, except act as my own personal release, I’m going to focus on some good stuff. Good stuff like how thankful I am to have been blessed with the husband and kids I have and why I love them so.


Not to be overly corny but more often times than not I just feel like bursting because I’m so content and happy with my life and family. Ever feel like that?  I hope you do. 

What's not to love? 

Here are just a few things I want to commit to memory so that when I look back on this time, I won’t dwell on the drama that was taking place or the relationships that were forever damaged but instead these are the things I’ll remember, the things that make life worth living, the things that make me smile.

*As Brad Paisley’s #1 fan, Blade has announced that the following songs shall be played at his wedding (gasp!) in 30 years (ok maybe I added that stipulation)…”Waitin’ on a Woman” and “Welcome to the Future”. How adorable is that and so fitting for a wedding. Knowing him, he’ll just call up his buddy Brad and have him come and sing it live for him.


*We were talking at the dinner table the other night about what the kids were going to be when they grew up. Dakota answered with her usual 4 part answer: “Artist, paleontologist, marine biologist, farmer”. I wish she wouldn’t be such an underachiever. Blade responded with the typical, “Play a couple years of NFL football then join the Air Force to become a fighter pilot, or maybe I’ll fly Blackhawks in the Army…hmm”. While he was still deliberating his career path, Ryder piped up with, “I’m gonna be in the Army.” That’s to be expected. We asked if he was going to be an Airborne Ranger or perhaps a Green Beret or maybe even fly helicopters. He shook his head adamantly and said, “Nope, I’m going to be a RECRUITER just like Daddy.” Well played. Brownie points duly noted.

*Last week GI Joe surprised me with a dozen pink roses (my favorite) and his little girl with a half dozen of white and red swirled ones (her favorites). All together now…AWWWW. I love getting flowers for no reason. I can’t help that he may have misunderstood my purely informational text that told him I had found Magic Shell ice cream topping in cherry dip and that roses were on sale as a request. ;) Also, nothing brings the girl out of my tomboy daughter faster than her daddy bringing her flowers. The adoring manner in which she looks at him and says with a big sigh, “Awwwwww, thank you Daddy,” pretty much secures his place tightly wrapped around her finger. Oy.

This is basically the look except more adoration, less irritation. 

*We enjoyed the most perfect Saturday at the lake. No obligations, no time schedules, no extravagant itineraries. Just the 5 of us having fun, enjoying a beautiful day doing some of our favorite things with our favorite people. It was a spur of the moment thing but is one of those days I’ll cherish forever. Whoa, lay off the cheese already.

*After approximately 8 years sitting dormant, we decided to bring our ice cream maker out of retirement. We have been using Pioneer Woman’s Vanilla Ice Cream recipe to make homemade ice cream and let me tell you it’s delicious. Especially since GI Joe does all the work. Making ice cream is his “thing”. Back story: Before we were married, we had just bought our first place, that neither of us were living in because we’re old fashioned like that, and I brought my Mom and Godmother Nita out to see the place. Always trying to win over the womenfolk of my family, GI Joe borrowed his parent’s ice cream maker and whipped up some Berry Ice Cream that he served to the 3 of us while we sat in lawn chairs outside of our first house. Do you see why my Mom loved him so? And why I kinda like him too? Anyway, back to our modern day ice cream, I’m spoiled now and will probably never be able to eat storebought ice cream again. Sorry Breyers. I will however, make an exception for cherry dip cones and Reese's McFlurrys.


*Having boys is paying off. The other day the Princess Mobile was running low on gas (imagine that?!) while the kids and I were out running some errands so we stopped for gas. Both boys, climbed out and INSISTED that they pump the gas for me. It was so sweet and gentlemanly. Of course, I let them do it, what kind of mother would I be to deny them such a thing? But as they finished screwing the cap back on and hanging up the gas pump, they asked, “So does this count as one of our extra chores that we owe you?” Talk about a buzzkill.   It's fine, my gas got pumped and I didn't have to do it.  I win. 














THESE are the moments, I thank God that I’m alive, and I could not ask for more.

Except for some people to be slightly less retarded.

Oh oops. Good stuff PP, good stuff. Happy thoughts…happy thoughts…happy thoughts.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment