Wednesday, July 21, 2010

National LampKoons Vacation '10: Prologue

Ten days, 7 states, and 4600 miles=A LOT of BLOG MATERIAL. 

I have this self inflicted Mommy Mission that I'm on.  That mission is to take the kids to 49 of the 50 states before they graduate, Alaska being the odd man out.  They can go there on their own.  With Captain Phil gone, I just don't think I can do it.  The Mommy mission is always at the forefront of my mind when I start planning vacations, that and Man Vs. Food locations. This year we decided to go where no man hillbilly children have gone before...southwest and WAY west.  California baby!  I started planning our California, San Diego to be specific, vacation last year on our way home from vacation.  It's who I am, don't judge.  All thru the year I added to the 2010 San Diego Vacation spreadsheet, sights to see, things to do, places to eat, places to stay, the works.  Have I mentioned I'm slightly Type A?  By June of this year, the spreadsheet was filled to overflowing and the pretty "vacation folder" selected.  Then in the week before vacation, more spreadsheets were created.  An expense tracking spreadsheet and a packing spreadsheet were added.  It's a sickness I tell you. 
A list of this year's destinations, as indicated on the original planning spreadsheet were:  Colorado Springs, CO, somewhere in Utah (see I can be spontaneous sometimes!),  Las Vegas, NV, San Diego, CA, Grand Canyon, AZ, somewhere in New Mexico (solely for the purpose of marking it off the Mommy mission).  This trip would knock out another 7 states on the Mommy Mission, bringing the kids state count to 33, GI Joe's to 35, and mine to 42.  Score! 
The eve of our departure, June 30, the spreadsheets were complete and in the Folder, the car was packed, the fill in zookeeper trained, and the excitement in our home was palpable......

No comments:

Post a Comment