Friday, June 22, 2012

Food Friday

Another awesome blogging week for the books....not.  No excuses just haven't blogged this week, the end.  Here are some things I HAVE done this week though:

*Spent, no joke, 15 minutes looking for my sunglasses.  Found 'em...on top of my head. 

*Bought two guinea chicks.  Guineas are those obnoxiously loud birds that are put in with chickens to create a ruckus and make all kinds of noise to warn when a hawk or other predator is nearby.  I just bought these because they were pretty, not so much for chicken protection but whatevs.  They're names are Violet (because she's a lavender guinea) and Grinder (as in Guinea Grinder...GI Joe's favorite sandwich at the fair..yeah we're sick in the head.) I'll show you a picture next week. 

*Let my baby get on a plane to fly to Nashville to meet my new nephew (his new cousin) Jensen, before I do.  See? I'm a selfless mother if there ever was one.  Well, he went to do that and to hang out with Bryan, Hilary, and Micah as per  annual summer tradition.  Either way I'm jealous and miss my Ryder terribly.  But not to worry I'll be there too in just 6 DAYS! 

*We're in the single digits vacation countdown and you know what that means?  File folders, spreadsheets, and packing galore.  I LOVE IT.  Vacation starts for me 1-2 weeks ahead of time because all the PLANNING!  THE SPREADSHEETS!  THE PACKING!  THE SHOPPING I HAVE TO DO BEFORE I CAN FINISH PACKING!   It's like a prevacation because it makes me so happy.  Type A much? 

*The bacon bouquet I made for GI Joe for Father's Day was a hit!  See?

He loved it. 

Also for Father's Day, we bought him a new suit. While he loved it (seriously, he's been wanting a suit, you know for when he runs for [resident and stuff), I think it was more of a gift to me..and to the world...because WOW.  As tempting as it may be try not to make this picture your screensaver, that could be awkward.  Not that I'd blame you of course, I'm just sayin'.  (Oh and horse face circa 1996 I am especially talking to you.)   

He brought in the MIB Neuralyzer on all his own.  When Tommy Lee finally gets too old to star in more MIB movies (he's already there) I think we've got a suitable replacement.  Ha, suitable?  I crack myself up.

Then we celebrated Father's Day just like we celebrated Mother's Day...by going fishing and my torturing them with pictures.  There's just no respite from my camera crazy self. 

Worth it.

Anyway, Food Friday.  Let's do this. 

Blade is my little baker.  I know, big brown eyes, cute, smart, athletic, AND CAN BAKE?  Jesus, take the wheel, I'm gonna have to amp up the crazy momness to keep the girls away.  He is also just like his father in that he has a mighty sweet tooth.  So when he told me he was REALLY REALLY craving some brownies I went to one of my favorite blogs to make your teeth rot and searched for brownie recipes.  And once again, she did not let us down.  Blade whipped these up and we ate them until our stomachs hurt, they were dare I say, the BEST BROWNIES I'VE EVER HAD.  For realz.  

Come along with me on a fantastic brownie voyage.  

Slide slide slippity slide.  Sorry couldn't help myself.  I heart Coolio. 

So back to the brownies. 

from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
 2 packages (roughly 20 oz each) brownie mix — I always use Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge 19.9 oz boxes

12 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla

Frosting:  Forget the sprinkle of powdered sugar on top of the brownies, it's time to get serious, it's time to FROST those brownies. 
1 1/2 sticks butter
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
5 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar


INSTRUCTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 325. Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil. (We used a glass pan, no foil and it worked fine.) Spray bottom with bakers spray (the kind with flour in it) OR butter then flour bottom of foil lined pan. Set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl, place both brownie mixes, buttermilk, melted butter, eggs and vanilla. Mix with a wooden spoon until fully combined. Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly.

3. Bake for about 45 – 50 minutes, until edges look set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs but not batter. Cool for at least 20 minutes, then frost.

4. Make Frosting: Melt butter in a medium sized saucepan over low heat. Whisk in cocoa powder and milk. Cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens and JUST begins to boil. Remove pan from heat and slowly add the powdered sugar, whisking until smooth. Pour over brownies and spread quickly. Let set before cutting brownies.

Blade followed this exactly and it was perfection.  The layer of frosting is almost as thick as the layer of brownie and the brownies are fudgy and dense.  In other words, heaven. 


I mean, you kinda have to trust a face like this when it comes to these brownies. 

Happy Friday!  Have a great weekend!  Know how?  Make these brownies!  And then bring me some.  K?  Thanks. 






2 comments:

  1. Hey!! I'm so glad I got to your blog again! I had it bookmarked for a lonnnggg time and then reformatted our computer and lost it. So, yeah! Thanks for commenting the other day on my 'whoa is a mom' post. :) I think sometimes, the biggest thing for me is not feeling along in all of this mom adventure jazz. and i think i set myself up for failure at the expectations i have for myself. unmeetable expectations. so, thanks for being one of the people who listen when i vent! :) i'm never sure who's out there, floating around in blog land when my voice is wanting to be heard. nice to know one of them is you! i love your blog, too, btdub. such a cute family you have. maybe we should meet in person someday. isn't that a thought! oh, and i'm a vegetarian, but those bacon roses look like just the thing to snap me out of it! my husband would swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda! So good to hear from you. You are definitely not alone in this mom adventure. I think we all do the setting unreasonably high expectations for ourselves and then feel such defeat when we don't measure up. I love reading your blog and how real you keep it. When we do meet I'll have to tell you the hilarious dream I had about "hidden blessings" not long ago. It was ridiculous. :) Jessie and I were discussing an Adel Tropical Sno date in the very near future, you should join us and then we could meet and Jessie could act as matchmaker? mediator? wingman? not sure the word I'm looking for but you know what I mean, well I hope you do because otherwise those sound totally creepy. Keep your chin up with in the mother 'hood, it'll get better. Oh and bacon roses? Do it. :)

    ReplyDelete