Friday, June 8, 2012

Food Friday

Happy Friday!  Here are some things that I've done or have happened around the Koons Zoo this week:
*I put Ryder up for adoption on facebook and craig's list because he brought a "leopard frog" in THE KITCHEN to show me as i was happily eating my Blue Bunny I Do I Do ice cream.  A FROG. IN MY KITCHEN.  I do not have the cardio strength to be the mother of boys.


*Fingerpainted our picnic table, it's so much prettier now...until it rains. 

*Made soap clouds.  Awesomeness.  I'll give you the full scoop on this soon. 

*Called the vet to ask if it was possible for our fainting goat to be impregnated by our llama.  (Would that be a Lloat?  A Gama?  A Fainting Gama Loat?  I'll let you guess the answer.  Full transcript of THAT call coming soon.

*Made root beer floats.  I forget what a simple joy in life this is, especially with A&W Diet Cream Soda and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.  Hello summer.

*Oh and most notably?  I decided I want to be a runner and then went running 3 nights.  And with that I think we know what the temperature in H-E-double hockey sticks is right now.  More on this later.  Also, I still can't walk correctly. 

AS you can see it's been a fun filled week, but I didn't want to skip a Food Friday.  Especially when I have the perfect summer recipe for you.  It's simple, delicious, portable and makes the perfect lunch, dinner, snack for when you're lounging by the pool or fishing at the pond or a picnic in the park.  My BFF Heather and her family came to visit us on Memorial Day (a visit deserving of its own post) and I made these sandwiches for lunch.  And that may have been the highlight of the day, well, besides the shooting stuff and the watching GI Joe scare the fainting goat, Oreo, so she, you know, fainted.  "Do it again that just never gets old!"   Heather has since emailed and asked for this recipe and if I'm not mistaken has made it for her clan at home.  It's really good, guys. 

Tailgate Sandwiches adapted from here
(I usually half the recipe for the sake of my waistline, so these measurements are according to that)
1/2 stick melted butter
1/2 t. mustard powder (or ground mustard as it may appear in your spice aisle.  Also, feel free to add a little extra, a little extra mustard powder in this recipe never hurt anything)
1/2 t. Worcestershire sauce (I usually add an extra splash or two for kicks)
1/2 t. poppyseeds (as long as you don't have any upcoming drug tests! Poppyseeds=failed drug tests)
1 package Kings Hawaiian dinner rolls
1/2 lb ham (sliced or shaved)
1 cup cheese, shredded or sliced (I usually use cheddar or colby jack but mozzarella or swiss would work too)
Mix the mustard powder, the W sauce, and the poppyseeds in with your melted butter.  Take the rolls and cut them in half so you have a top half and a bottom half.  Take the top off.  Layer the ham and cheese on the bottom half of the rolls.  Replace the tops. You now have a giant sandwich!  Put the rolls in a 9x13 or larger pan.  Brush the melted butter mixture over the giant sandwich being sure to drizzle down the sides, use it all.  Cover the rolls with foil and bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until cheese is all melty and gooey.  If you want them to look even prettier, take the foil off for the last couple minutes so they can get brown and a little crispy on top.  And that's it...EAT UP! 

Have a great weekend my friends!  I plan on soaking up soaking up some sun, running (I know, who am I?!?), baking, and squeezing my goat's thingies and by thingies I mean udders?  teats?  per the vet's instructions.  Yeah, you read that right.  I promise that will be a blog post you will not want to miss.  Enjoy your weekend no matter what you're doing even if it's not as exciting as violating your goat!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment