Thursday, June 14, 2012

Food Friday

This is an extra special Food Friday. Not because of the recipe, the recipe is great and all, but just because of the happenings taking place this Friday. Let me list them for you, shall I?


*I have the day off to hang with the kids, my friend Denise and her daughters which includes my namesake. We’re going to be marking some things off of our Summer Fun Bucket List. Super excited. I love summer Fridays off.

*It’s Father’s Day weekend and I have THE BEST surprise planned for GI Joe. He doesn’t usually read the blog (he gets to live it firsthand) so here I’ll show you…..
photo from ourbestbites.com

A BACON BOUQUET Genius.  This will definitely be speaking GI Joe's love language

*It’s the best sale of the year at Bath and Body Works. DO IT. I can’t help it I’m a BBW hoarder. But I seriously have not replenished my stash from there in ages because I’ve been trying to be less of a hoarder. And I’m finally running out of everything. So this weekend? It’s GO TIME. 

*In addition to the phenomenal sale at Bath and Body Works, it will be a multipurpose trip to the mall because one of my other favorite places to shop (for my kids), Children's Place, is having their Monster Sale (40% off everything PLUS I have a coupon for another 20% off). You guys, I’m not good at math but that is A LOT of percentage off and probably means $3 shirts and $5 shorts. Although truthfully, why do I bother since I’m raising a nudist?

I realize it's Father's Day weekend and probably not the most appropriate time to be shopping for the kids and myself but the way I see it, I like to smell nice for my husband and I want the kids to be well dressed since they represent him and all.  Also, I don't really have anything to worry about because 2 words....BACON BOUQUET. 

Anyway, on to the recipe of the day.  This is Ryder's absolute favorite meal in all the land.  My friend Ronda gave me the recipe years ago and since then I've basically claimed it as my own, and one time I accidentally did it in front of her.  Oops.  But the beauty of Ronda and I's friendship is she didn't get mad and is totally fine with calling it "our recipe."  I love her.  I blogged about this recipe as a guest on my girl Jessie's blog a LONG time ago but it's worth revisiting.  But you should also go read that post, I'm a dork.

Crockpot Pizza
12 oz.  kluski noodles (or really any egg noodles made by the Amish, I'm not even kidding)
1 lb. hamburger or our personal preference, Italian Sausage
Other pizza toppings as desired (we never have CPP without adding pepperoni but canadian bacon, mushrooms, olives, all of the above are great as well.)
26 oz jar spaghetti sauce
14 oz jar pizza sauce
Italian seasoning to taste, I usually add a healthy pinch
Garlic salt, a good sprinkle
a pinch of sugar, just a tiny pinch (have you ever seen such exact and precise measurements?!?)
LOTS of cheese, like at least 2 cups but more is better (mozzarella, pizza blend, cheddar, or a little bit of all of the above)
Parmesan cheese, a good shaking on top of the other cheeses at the end of each layer

Follow the package instructions to boil the noodles.  Drain.  Brown hamburger or sausage, drain.  Spray the crockpot with Pam and then put just enough pizza and spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the crockpot to keep things from sticking, a very thin layer.  Add the rest of the sauces to the hamburger or sausage.  Add in spices if desired.  Layer half the noodles in the bottom of the crockpot, followed by the meat/sauce mixture and any other pizza toppings you want, topped with half the cheese.  Repeat.  Put the lid on and cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 1-2.  Serve with garlic bread or breadsticks. 

So filling, so comforting, and easy enough for an 8 year old to put together.  Another Summer Fun Bucket List item is each kid plans the menu and cooks dinner.  Ryder chose this recipe because he loves it so much and with limited supervision (hello boiling water and splattering sausage grease) he did it all on his own and was pretty dang proud of himself.  This will be the recipe that someday he'll whip up when he's trying to impress a girl.  I can see it now, a candlelit dinner for 2 and a crockpot filled to the brim with this cheesy, warm, goodness.  Between this and those eyes of his, poor girls don't stand a chance.  Let's just hope (and pray!) that he's outgrown his umm, immodest ways by then.  ;)

Happy Funday Friday!  And a Happy Father's Day!




*






1 comment:

  1. I made this for my fam last Sunday and they loved it...thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete