Thursday, September 23, 2010

Little Bit of Life

Sorry I haven’t been on quite the same blogging roll that I was last week. Last week I was medicating with brandy for a nasty cold I had, so most of those were written under the influence. This week I gave it up cold turkey (not Wild Turkey), because my cold is considerably better. Turns out I’m a much better blogger when I’m drunk. JUST KIDDING BAPTIST FRIENDS AND GRANDPA! I promise it was just an occasional shot to clear the crud out of my throat and my nose (TMI?) and to help me sleep, basically a much more effective form of NyQuil. Never mind that my cold lasted 6 months. Ha! Ha!




So anyway, let’s review what else I’ve been up to this week because it’s just such an interesting life I lead. .

*A slight medical situation involving an 8 year old boy and a styrofoam bead from a beanbag chair. Why Blade thought it would be a good idea to stick one of those little beads in his ear, like WAY DOWN IN HIS EAR, I’ll never know. Also, why I didn’t think to call the 24 hour nurse line BEFORE GI Joe and I attempted flushing it out, extracting it with tweezers, and various other tricks. Because guess what? When I finally called the nurse after we were unsuccessful the first thing she said was, “DON’T TRY TO GET IT OUT ON YOUR OWN, YOU’LL JUST GET IT IN THERE DEEPER.” Ummm oops. She told me to have him turn his head and wiggle his ear to see if it would fall out. Obviously, since we are great parents and probably lodged the bead further into his ear than it originally was, this did not work. At which point she said, take him to the doctor first thing in the morning OR immediately if he starts having drainage or severe pain. Luckily, we were able to wait til morning. The doctor had a bit of a time getting it out as well but finally did and then gave Blade the whole “never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear” talk. Once it was out, I said to Blade, “Well, at least you didn’t get it stuck in your nose, a lot of kids do that.” To which he responded incredulously, “WHY WOULD I STICK SOMETHING UP MY NOSE?!?” Oh yeah, good point because YOUR EAR IS SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER. Seriously.

Look, it's the perfect size to fit in an 8 year old's ear canal!!!

*Also in life altering news, I decided it would be super fun and interesting to keep track of how many loads of laundry we do in our house per week. I was totally wrong about the super fun and interesting part, more like super depressing and overwhelming. In case you’re wondering, for an active, somewhat dirty, sweaty, family of 5 on a wannabe farm, we’re on 17 loads so far this week. Awesome huh? And here’s the kicker, it’s not like we had neglected laundry for a month, or even a week. Noooooo, I do massive amounts every weekend and then do at least 1 or 2 loads a night during the week. This is just a normal week. So to combat this never ending problem, I think I’m going to instill a clothes ban until every hamper is empty, every dirty piece of clothing clean. So you might want to call before stopping by. Just sayin’. :)

*Besides counting loads of laundry, I've been very busy fielding calls for TV appearances, magazine covers, etc since Ryder's debut on the homecoming float.  He did great, waving and throwing out candy to his adoring fans fellow students. 


Sadly, this is the best picture I got of him on the float.  Apparently, he didn't appreciate me running alongside the float to take his picture so refused to look at me. 

Homecoming King 2021?!?  (I think it's 2021 but you know how I am with Math.)



*This weekend is the annual recruiting banquet where I get to wear a pretty dress and try not to embarrass GI Joe by asking the General too many questions and he gets to try and avoid drag queens in the elevator. Go here and here  to refresh your memory. In a shocking development, my dress is NOT zebra print, purple, hot pink, or lime green but rather a subdued shimmery cobalt blue. I don’t even know who I am anymore and I’m quite certain no one else at the banquet will either. Stay tuned for a full recap of that next week. 

Happy Friday!



No comments:

Post a Comment