Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Update

Blogging live from Tennessee today. My sister Heidi, my niece Savannah, nephew Jonah arrived at about 2:30 this morning (not without incident I might add, but that's for another post). It was without question THE LONGEST DRIVE IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD. I left my house at 10:00 yesterday morning after my other sister Heidi and I made the executive decision that our baby sister needed us and needed us immediately. When I called Hilary to tell her of our decision she gave me resounding affirmation that yes, she did need us and also warned me at that time that Kaydence was considerably worse off than she was on Monday. Kaydence was supposed to hold on until we got here late last night. But because she is my sister's daughter and my niece, she did what she wanted and about 10:15 yesterday morning surrounded by people that loved her and her mama holding her tight, she slipped away peacefully. So what I had originally envisioned as a few days cozied up at their house, taking turns loving on Kaydence, and saying our goodbyes has turned into a few days of funeral planning and preparation, and letting it all sink in. While we've been "expecting" this for the past 10 months it was still so unexpected, if you can grasp that. We went from planning for her first "beat the odds" birthday party to hospice telling them she only had 24 hours to a week to using the term "deceased" within a 24 hour period. It's all happened so fast it still doesn't quite seem real. Although the silence in their house now without the sounds of Kaydence's machines is definitely a reality check. Several times I've walked into Kaydence's room expecting to see her there looking up at me...but she's not and that stinks...ALOT.
We take comfort in the fact that Kaydence isn't suffering anymore and if it's possible to be spoiled in heaven, she's being spoiled rotten by our mom, her Grandma Leslie. While that's comforting, it doesn't fill the void she left. To know Kaydence was to love Kaydence. It's amazing how a little girl who couldn't communicate, couldn't even cry, was able to work her magic on every single person she ever met. There was a peace that emanated from her. She was definitely an angel sent here for reasons bigger than any of us. I'm thankful that I got to be an aunt to this sweet little girl for the time I did. We're all better people for having been on this journey.



The visitation is Friday night and the funeral is on Saturday, so your thoughts and prayers especially during those times are much appreciated. And throw up an extra prayer that my sisters and I don't get an inappropriate case of the giggles, as we've been known to do.

Thanks for all the kind words of support and encouragement during this time. Keep 'em coming.

4 comments:

  1. I just started following your blog about a week ago...and just learned about your precious niece yesterday...but please know that I'm sending up a big prayer for you and your family! Remember...she's soaring with the angels now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking of you guys constantly. Praying, praying, praying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear of the loss of Kaydence to your family. This little girl was surrounded by so much love in her short time on earth. Your whole family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is Sara P from Jessie's blog... I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I read many of the blog posts about Kaydence from the CaringBridge site. I can't imagine how hard it is for your family right now... but I know from other posts on the site that your family knows God's in control. He needed Kaydence to be with Him now, and we are blessed to have the faith to KNOW that Kaydence is in Heaven with Him, smiling from ear to ear as her dad described in so many blog entries. The story of Kaydence as such a brave little fighter and of her parents as such capable and brave caretakers has touched my heart, as I'm sure it has for so many other people. Praying for your family and sending love your way.

    ReplyDelete