Thursday, February 5, 2009

Trauma at Target

Today started out like any other day until I went to drive to work and my truck was dead. I am not a morning person to begin with so any interruptions to my routine are not welcomed. We determined that the battery was dead so GI Joe jumped it, promised to get a new battery for it today, and off I went. I was actually really excited because the past few days my CD player had been acting weird but post-jump it workeText Colord perfect. So I put in my New Kids CD and jammed all the way to work, thinking I just might be able to salvage the morning after all.

At lunch time I decided to go run a few errands. The Princess Mobile started right up and off I went, no problems. In fact, I called GI Joe after making my first stop and reported that it was running fine. Then I was off to Target for a quick stop before going back to work. I found a rock star parking place, pulled in, shut her off, and got out. But when I hit the lock button on my remote I didn't hear any clicking noise. Now, normally I'm not very observant about these things but for some reason today I noticed. I got back in and put my key in the ignition and tried to start it up. NOTHING. No dashboard lights, no radio, NADA. So I did what I always do when something goes wrong, I called GI Joe. I reported all the symptoms and he determined that the battery had probably given out and that I probably shouldn't have driven it anywhere until he had replaced the battery. I must've missed that memo when he distributed it this morning. He said he would go get a new battery and come to the Target parking lot to replace it. In the meantime I had to get back to work. Work isn't very far at all from Target but I immediately vetoed the walking back to work option as that's just not how I roll. Instead, I called my friend, Annette and luckily she was out and about and said she would LOVE to come and get me but it would be a few minutes. She's awesome, mostly because she loves lip gloss and New Kids as much as I do, but also because she didn't think twice about coming to help me out. That left me with time to wander around Target, not such a bad place to be stranded. But then the tragedy struck. I picked up a lovely bathmat and slit open my finger on the cardboard label thingy. I was bleeding profusely, okay maybe not profusely but enough that I was afraid I would leave a blood trail that could later be used to convict me of a crime I didn't commit. I was desperately trying to find a First Aid kit or anything to stop the bleeding so I didn't get blood all over everything. Target, here's some advice for you, place some First Aid kits randomly throughout the store in the event someone is injured while shopping, thanks. I was at the back of the store of course, so after not finding any other options I made my way up to the front of the store to the restrooms to tend to my finger that was now hanging by cartilage. Alright that might be a bit overdramatic, but it was still bleeding. As I was wrapping a paper towel around my injury my phone started ringing. I fished around in my purse with my good hand and came up empty handed. I can never find my phone, why would this be any different? So I dumped out my purse on the diaper changing station and it wasn't there. I start panicking thinking "On top of everything now I've lost my phone (again)!" until a thread of reason shone thru and made me realize that I couldn't have lost it as I had just heard it ringing. And there it was in my coat pocket right where I had put it earlier. Nice. At that point, I had had enough of Target and decided to just head outside and wait for Annette. If you know me at all, you know it takes a lot for me to leave Target empty handed but at this point I was just glad to still have my hand in tact....mostly.

Annette rescued me and back to work we went. I got a call from GI Joe later in the day to tell me my truck was now running fine and that he hadn't needed to put a new battery in. Something about the battery cables were loose, oh and something about it not having any coolant. Coolant? OHHHHHH, so THAT's what the Low Coolant light was talking about when it kept flashing on my dashboard. I just thought there was a short or something because why would you need coolant in the winter time? So weird. But as always, GI Joe came to the rescue and the Princess Mobile is back on the roads. And I learned a valuable lesson about the importance of communicating dashboard light messages to him. As for my Target injury, it will be a slow recovery and it may require plastic surgery but I'm a tough farm girl I think I'll survive.

But seriously Target..I'm willing to forgive your behavior today in exchange for implementing the first aid kit suggestion, think about it.

1 comment:

  1. I certainly hope you didn't break open a previous scar from the barb wire incident last summer. Oh, the dangers of shopping! And based on your previous blog about the Super Bowl, you definitely need to chat with me often about sports trivia. I loved the stories about your mom. A good mom as she taught you to be years beyond your age in the domestic(cooking)world. I'm still waiting for Abby to "like" to cook. Poor Dave.