Friday, February 24, 2012

Food Friday

I think I'm going to start a new thing on the blog called Food Friday. While sometimes I may be afflicted with writer's block and am not sure what new stories to tell you from our zoo, one thing is for certain, not a day goes by that we don't EAT. I love to try new recipes, I love to cook, and most importantly I love to eat (obviously). So with that being said, every Friday I'm going to post a few recipes I've tried recently and loved. I am the girl known to send my sisters and smom random emails that say things like "You NEED to try this recipe ASAP. Hilary, it's really easy YOU CAN DO IT! You're welcome." Don't you wish I was your sister? I know. Sidenote: Hilary is the one out of all of us who cooks because she has to not because she likes to, so easy and fast is of upmost importance to her.



Here are a few recipes from recent weeks/events that warrant entry on the first Food Friday.


Cookie Dough Dip-Yes, you read that right. COOKIE.DOUGH.DIP. I mean, HAVE YOU EVER?!? Genius. And it's easy. It was one of the items at our SuperBowl party that people were powerless to resist. I was in a bit of a haze after this commercial but I distinctly remember repeat trips to this dip bowl. It may have been the only thing saving me from certain marital embarrassment. I just pretended I was oohing, aahing, drooling, and hyperventilating over this dip instead of Mr. Beckham. But you know the truth. Ok, it was a little of both. The dip is THAT good, "that" being good-as-David-Beckham-in-his-underwear good, which is saying a lot. You understand.
The recipe comes from one of my favorite food blogs http://www.howsweeteats.com/.  Every recipe I've tried from there has been perfection and I'm quite certain that if Mrs. How Sweet and I met in person we'd be BFF's. She seems to have some very princesslike tendencies, is admittedly high maintenance, loves sparkly things and pink, so you know, basically my twin. And when she posted this recipe my love for her deepened. Have you ever made cookies and only one or two dozen get baked because you and your beloved dish the dough out in bowls and eat it with a spoon while watching CSI? Yeah me either, just wondering. Now you can do that in a socially acceptable manner without the fear of salmonella. See? Genius.
Here's the recipe Cookie Dough Dip.  I made it exactly as posted for the SuperBowl party and it was obviously delish but next time I think I'm going to cut the cream cheese amount by an ounce or so and make up for it in butter.  Because it did have a slight cream cheese tang that isn't authentic to cookie dough but let's be honest it was still wonderful.  Follow the recipe the first time then adjust to your tastes the next time, and there will be a next time.  Now go forth and make cookie dough dip! 

So this may seem like an odd time to tell you that I've been trying to cook and eat healthier, aside from SuperBowl of course. C'mon it was the SUPERBOWL aka the football game that apparently was on before and after that David Beckham commercial. I just don't understand why I can't find a diet plan that includes butter, chips and salsa, and Reese's Eggs on the daily requirement list. Sigh. But I have found some good recipes that don't include any of those things and feel it's my civic duty to share with you.


Buffalo Wing Turkey Lettuce Wraps
This comes from another food blog that I enjoy and use regularly http://www.girl-who-ate-everything.com/, my kind of girl. It's the same blog that brought us CAKE BATTER BALLS, so how could anything on there be wrong?!?


Back to the Buffalo Wing Turkey Lettuce Wraps, it's fine if you eat 5 of them because they're HEALTHY, or at least that's what GI Joe and I told ourselves. And trust me you'll want to eat 5 of them. So good. I omitted the celery because celery is gross but left the carrots in. Anytime I can sneak in veggies I will, except celery of course because again, IT'S NASTY. But the carrots were entirely unnoticeable and acceptable in this dish. GI Joe actually prepared this recipe...wearing an apron...a cupcake apron.

 
I'm sure that attributed to it's deliciousness as well. Since he was cooking, he was slightly more liberal with the amount of hot sauce used because we like to keep things spicy...OUR FOOD PEOPLE, OUR FOOD. This isn't last week's episode of Khloe & Lamar after all.

Give both of these and try and if you do feel free to express your undying love to me let me know how you like them. 

Happy eating and happy Friday!



No comments:

Post a Comment