GI Joe turns 34 today. He's soooo old, I know. He's so lucky to be married to a spring chicken that keeps him young. I cherish those 7 months a year that he's older than me. In honor, I thought I would do the most cliche thing on the planet and list 34 fun facts about him. Actually, I take that back, I'm kinda busy tonight baking birthday cupcakes, making PRE birthday cookie dough truffles for him, and watching Mike and Molly, so I'm only going to list 17 things. I did some math and it turns out that 17 is half of 34. Who said I was bad at math?!?
Here we go...
1. He loves chocolate chip cookie dough (don't we all?) but it makes him really happy if I dish him out some BEFORE I add the chocolate chips. He's not a fan of the chocolate chips in cookie dough, says their "waxy".
2. He has a severe sweet tooth. All those cupcakes I bake? He's my official taste tester and enjoys every second of it.
3. He has amazing willpower. Which is how he keeps his boyish figure in spite of the cupcakes. He limits himself to just one. Have you ever heard of such a thing?!? :)
4. He LOVES LOVES LOVES the Detroit Lions and has since 1985 when Chuck Long of the Iowa Hawkeyes (another one of his first loves) went to the Lions. That's like 25 years, people!! He's been with them through many a losing season and you can imagine his elation at their so far undefeated season. Every year he tells me, "THIS is gonna be their year!" and this year, I actually believe him.
5. He's a homebody. He'd much rather stay home on the prairie than anything. I'm exactly that way too, except NOT AT ALL, so we're a good balance. I drag him out occasionally and he shows me the beauty of staying home sometimes.
6. His newest and most delicious hobby is smoking stuff. Not stuff as in illegal stuff but stuff as in delectable meats, cheeses, and even the occasional frozen pizza (seriously, it.'s delish). I commissioned his brofriend John, to build him a smoker last year for his birthday and I have to say, SMARTEST, BEST, present EVER. :)
7. His musical loves are country, real country "not this new crap they keep playing on the radio" (he's talking to you Band Perry). But it might surprise you to know that he also loves Michael Buble and 50's and 60's music.
8. He is freakishly strong. He can bring a grown man to his knees while shaking his hand just by squeezing. Probably from all that farm boy work.
9. He's a talk radio junkie and says it makes him smarter. I say it makes him seem REALLY old and a little nerdy. :)
10. He reads online newspapers from all over the world, specifically the Middle East, on a daily basis just to stay in the know and so he can enlighten the rest of us, whether we want him to or not.
11. He lettered in every sport in high school...football, baseball, track, basketball, and was really good at all of them, especially football (see #8). Obviously, our mutual athleticism is one of the ties that binds us....or not.
12. Winter is his favorite season. Winter is the bane of my existence. He loves the snow and gets giddy excited when there's substantial snow in the forecast. I love him in spite of this character flaw.
13. He's been in the military for 15 years and recruiting full time for 9 years. 9 YEARS! Average tenure of a recruiter is 3-4 years max given the demands, the stress, the hours, etc, so 9 is kind of a big deal. We should both get some kind of award for this.
14. He can quote every word of the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". It's really unfortunate that space in his brain has been wasted on this.
15. He had a higher GPA (3.5) in high school than I did ...barely. But I'm still better at spelling SO THERE.
16. Bacon is his favorite food group.
17. He hates having his picture taken, which is unfortunate since I'm kind of a camera Nazi. But he grins and bears it...usually.
4 Easy Ways to Use Leftover Pasta by Bridget
23 hours ago