Monday, August 1, 2011

Redneck Resourcefulness

One of the best things about summer is S'mores.  But sometimes when you're tired after working all day, humidity is 150% outside, and the bugs are buzzing like crazy, you just don't feel like going outside and starting a campfire in the perfectly good firepit. 
But it's summer and the craving for S'mores is strong so what do you do?

I'll tell you what you do, or at least what my hillbilly husband did.

You go to your tool shelf and you find your  BLOWTORCH.

And then you fire it up...IN THE KITCHEN.  You know, the place full of very flammable WOOD.

Without wearing safety goggles because "it's perfectly safe" and "i know what i'm doing."
And you know what?  THe marshmallows turn out perfectly roasted, not too done, not underdone, just right.  Why?  Because a butane blowtorch is so much more precise than a boring old campfire. 


And then the 9 year old boy, another redneck in the making, roasts marshmallows on a stick while his Daddy holds the BLOWTORCH.  Completely normal, no?  NO, not at ALL.
"Mommy, this is the BEST CAMPFIRE EVER!  I'm not getting any bug bites, my marshmallow isn't catching on fire, and I'm not getting cold and have to go inside for a sweatshirt.  I think the S'mores taste better when we make them like THIS!"

No wonder their Daddy is their hero. 

I hope when the kids are grown and have kids of their own they'll remember the times like this.  The times where it became undeniably clear that their Daddy is a redneck through and through, but a resourceful redneck.  And their mommy laughing nervously because she was sure he was going to burn down the house but taking pictures the whole time because if that isn't making memories I don't know what is.  And I hope they'll be inspired to do fun things like that with their kids.  And most of all, I hope they wear SAFETY GOGGLES and in the name of all that is holy and gooey, that they STEP AWAY FROM THE WOOD CABINETRY. 





No comments:

Post a Comment