Thursday, June 17, 2010

Memorial Day

What's that you say? Memorial Day was like 3 weeks ago? You should know by now that punctuality is not one of my virtues. Besides, I'm memorializing what we did on Memorial Day this year, so take that!

As is our Memorial Day tradition, we enjoyed a deck party with our church friends and family at the inlaws. Food, fun and fellowship, that's what us Baptists are all about. And we did all 3 of those...in excess on Memorial Day. We should probably change that to Food, fun, fellowship and FRY. As in, it was so sunny out that SOME of our church friends were still "glowing" the next time we saw them at church. I worked on my farmer's tan instead, you know since I'm almost a "real farmer" and all, now.

After the festivities on the deck wore down, I suggested to GI Joe that we take a drive out to the new Veteran's Cemetery that recently opened on the outskirts of our town. The place that every time we pass it, which is quite often since it's on the way to the interstate, the kids say, "there's where Daddy will be buried someday." Real uplifting,I know. Anyway, we drove up and man, was it gorgeous. All the flags were out (right side up, apparently some punks have been making a game out of sneaking up there and turning all the flags upside down) and the place was hopping. We took our time and wandered around just paying homage to those whose footsteps GI Joe is following in. I don't know what it is but just driving into that place puts a lump in my throat. Maybe it's realizing all the sacrifices that have been made by the men and women buried there or maybe it's knowing that my very own GI Joe will someday be among those, either way it's a moving experience. I never used to be such a sap, must be my old age. I was also so proud of the kids because they seem to really "get" the significance of that place and just took it all in. Me? I felt like belting out the Star Spangled Banner and hugging my family. I refrained from the singing, not so much on the hugging, but that's my perogative.



This picture alone makes me teary eyed. What is WRONG with me?!? :)


Is it wrong to pray that I never see their names on a monument like this? I'm just a mom I can't help myself.


As much as I love pink, there's just something about that red, white and blue. Not sure our flag would have quite the same impact if it were done in pink stripes.

This is the gravesite of a troubled young man that GI Joe enlisted into the military not long ago. The young man took his own life before he even shipped out for boot camp, for reasons unrelated to his career choice, but moreso to do with feeling overwhelmed by life in general. I can't help but think of what might've been for him if he'd just stuck it out long enough to ship out, what he might've become, the impact he could've made. So sad.
On a brighter note, I will also be buried there right next to my GI Joe and believe it or not, we've already got my headstone picked out.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment