Friday, March 30, 2012

Food Friday

I'm gonna make this short and sweet (that's totally a pun, you'll get it in a second) because I'm up to my eyebrows in cupcakes and frosting this week. Literally. I was seriously on my way out the door to take Dakota and Blade to a 4H Training thing when GI Joe gently stopped me by saying, "Babe, you may want to go check a mirror before you go, because you have frosting on your eyebrow, oh and there's some more on your forehead."

Phew, that was a close one. The point is that the Suck It Up Cupcakes biz is booming right now, complete with the 7 DOZEN I have to bake tonight. 7 DOZEN, that's like, 84 cupcakes! So while I'd love to tell you about hornless Holy and the peacock lost and found and our trip to Minneapolis over Spring Break, those stories will have to wait until next week. But I didn't want to let a Friday go by without posting a fabulous food find for you and also to see how many words that start with f I could use in a row in a sentence. (Four, in case you're wondering.)

Today's featured recipe is Reese's Krispies.

My longtime friend and one time housemate posted on Facebook the other day that she had made these and I'm not speaking to her anymore because these Krispies...ARE OF THE DEVIL. I cannot stop eating them and it's all her fault for posting such things on FB, I mean, THE NERVE. :)


So here's the recipe adapted Prairie Princess style, that my friend got off of Pinterest, another OF THE DEVIL thing because what we all need is one more internet addiction. I tease, kinda, except I'm totally addicted to Pinterest but I really limit myself to how much I get on because I cannot be trusted to not spend an entire evening on there "pinning" recipes I needn't make (I'm looking at you Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Devil's Food Cake Cheesecake) and crafts that will never turn out as cute and easy as they did on Pinterest. But these Krispies are a different story, well, they fall into the "really shouldn't make" category but if they're wrong I don't wanna be right.  So be wrong with me, ok?

Reese's Krispies
Adapted from ohsweetbasil.com


1 c. sugar
1 c. corn syrup (tip:  when measuring corn syrup, spray your measuring cup with nonstick spray first, then the corn syrup will slide right out)
1 1/3 c. creamy peanut butter
4 ¼ c. Rice Krispies
1 pinch of salt
8 Reese's eggs (from the bag) chopped (the original recipe calls for 4 Reese's cups but I had eggs on hand and I don't believe there is such a thing as too many Reese's in a recipe so I added more)
1 handful chocolate chips

In a saucepan over medium heat, melt together the sugar, corn syrup, and peanut butter until smooth and combined.
Remove from heat. Turn off your stove and whatever you do, don't set a glass casserole dish down on the still hot burner while you finish the Krispies.
Add cereal and salt to a large bowl, pour melted sugar/pb mix over it and stir to combine. Add the chocolate chips and keep stirring. Wait about a minute so it cools down (or be impatient like me and end up with melted Reese's it makes no difference it still tastes good) and add the Reese's. Fold candy into the Krispies mixture but not so much as to smash the candy, although if you were impatient like me and added the Reese's in while the mixture was still warm you don't have to worry about that because they're not only smashed but basically melted.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper or just spray it w/ nonstick spray and drop rounded tablespoons of the chocolate/peanut butter goodness onto the sheet. Very important note: Read the recipe completely BEFORE you empty the entire mixture into a pan and spread it out like you would normal Rice Krispies because these are meant to be in cookie form NOT bar form. And then when you read the rest of the recipe, AFTER you've already done that, hurry and take them out of the pan and make them into cookie shapes. And now you've just wasted 3 minutes of your life that you could've spent hugging your llama. So don't be like me is what I'm trying to say here.


Let cool (as if) and then watch as your kids devour fistfuls of these cookies until you finally have to tell them they can't have any more because MAMA WANTS SOME! These Reese's Krispies are so naughty by nature not cuz I hate ya but nice, really nice. Try them, you're worth it. Just don't be mad at me next week when your jeans are snug. I can sympathize.

Happy Friday!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment